Monday, February 4, 2013

Month 2: The System

We paid out our first month last week. Month 2 began on Friday. I find it interesting that the girls each earned more than they thought they would mostly because they each had outside jobs with babysitting, dog walking, pet sitting, etc. Pay out was a fun time for them to see everything counted out and divided. They each walked away with cash in hand and some in savings and some designated for charity. All girls were happy and smiling and dancing!

The weekend: Not such a great weekend. Lots of dings. Some of it may be due to the fact that we had company and our routines were off, but not only did some chores go undone, the attitudes were worse than they had been all of last month. I have said from the beginning that I am not looking for perfection and we told the girls as we paid them out that the reminders would stop and they needed to step up and remember on their own. I just find it interesting that once they had money in their pockets (and to each of them it was a good bit of money for their age and stage), their attitudes changed. My husband and I talked about this at length. Just this weekend I handed out more dings than in the first 2 weeks of last month. I dealt with more complaining and challenges than I did the entire last month. Is it the new is worn off or that they have money or a little of both? I don't know. I just find it interesting. 

I will say that for the amount we paid out last month total I am expecting great things this month. For that amount of money they need to be functioning on their own without reminders. I know...this is my issue! I clearly have control issues! I read a book once that said if you are worrying more about your children's problems (grades, chores, whatever) than they are...you have the problem! I will let my children fail, I will let my children fail. This is becoming my mantra, but it is hard. My nature is to save them and not let them hurt, but it is not doing what is right by them. I learn my best lessons in failure, my children are no different. I can hear a thousand sermons about sin, but it is in my own sin consequences that I learn. 

So this week, I will let my angels fall and I will not feel guilty about it. I will feel sad for them, but I will not rescue them. 

I have been getting a lot of questions about the specifics of this system and how to tailor it to a particular household or age group. Please feel free to email me and we can put our heads together. It takes all of us working together to do life! 
Contact me at dewinglife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment